Ready to give your TED Talk? TEDxCharleston is now accepting applications for speakers through March 15 for its 4th annual event being held Oct. 19 at the Gaillard Center. This year’s theme is “Tipping Point.”
“Author Malcom Gladwell has defined the ‘tipping point’ as ‘that magic moment when an idea, trend or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire.’ Over the past year, both locally and nationally, we have seen several moments that caused a great shift in our culture and actions. We want to dig into that idea and explore the force of those moments,” said Edith Howle, curator of TEDxCharleston. “We are actively looking for thinkers and leaders who are identifying, predicting or causing tipping points in Charleston and beyond, looking for ideas with the power to create new behaviors, new products, new trends.”
Chosen speakers will explore the concept that tipping points are happening in Charleston and globally and how those ideas can ultimately create dramatic shifts and larger change. Organizers are looking for speakers and performers in areas such as the environment, growth, race relationship, energy, transportation, economy, education, philanthropy, science, technology, business, arts, food, fashion, healthcare and more. APPLY HERE.
This year also marks the first time TEDxCharleston is accepting applications from youth speakers between the ages of 9 and 18. APPLY HERE.
TEDxCharleston is an all-day immersion experience at the intersection of science, art, performance and business. It is designed to enrich the Charleston, South Carolina community through presentations and entertainment that inspires, engages and transforms.
Here are ten reasons to attend:
• Meet Charleston’s “Who’s Who” of thinkers and doers
• Be surprised, be amazed, be inspired by ideas worth spreading
• Learn something new and transformative
• Help build a community of thought leaders and creators
• Network and spread your ideas to like-minded individuals in our community
• Be inspired to take action
• Participate in a conference that’s part of a global conversation
• Kick start your day and possibly change your life
• Witness amazing minds, music and art – all in one room
• Attend the most stimulating event of the year
TED.com created the TEDx program in the spirit of ideas worth spreading. TEDx is a far-reaching program of local, self-organized events happening on a global scale. These events bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At the event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.